How evolutionary psychology went viral.
Many EP studies tautologically assert that widely held social values are… well, widely held. Study finds that most men are attracted to women who are deemed conventionally attractive by society!
This one if for all for those people claiming that men find thin women sexy because they’re healthier.
1) Evo-psych has basically no evidence behind it, because it rests on the premise that our society’s tendencies are universal to humanity throughout history — something that can be trivially disproven for most of these claims, since there are many societies that have different tendencies, and periods throughout history when they’ve been different.
2) No, thin women are not actually healthier than fat women. We’ve posted about this over and over again. Search the archives, search the internet, it’s fact.
3) Societal preferences about weight have varied massively over history and across the world, and are trackable as social trends. If it were a genuinely evolutionary adaptation, this would not be true.
4) You cannot actually know what someone’s health is like by looking at them. Period. Not only true of fat people, true of everyone. Very thin people who are assumed to be anorexic or ill may actually be very healthy. Likewise very fat people. Likewise any physical trait.
5) You do not actually understand how evolution works.